Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hamentaschen and Purim: Thinking Ahead

My favorite holiday food item to bake, hands down, is hamentaschen. There is something therapeutic about making the dough, cutting it into circles, and pinching up the sides around the filling. I have used many cookie recipes, but the one I like best includes grated orange rind. My husband's filling of choice is mun, or poppy seed. Once year I made this filling from scratch, and it was a time consuming, sticky mess. Now I buy the poppy seed filling ready made, from the Israeli market.

I have helped make them at preschool countless times over the past years, and look forward to doing it a few more. The boys now help me make them at home, and are sometimes very creative in their 3 cornered shaping. I will make my usual batches this year, and will also try the recipe below:


Cafe Liz » Purim special: Mochi hamentaschen -- Kosher vegetarian recipes from my kitchen in Tel Aviv

This blog looks like a great resource, and I plan to explore it further!

Happy Hamentaschening!

No comments:

Post a Comment